Friday, August 22, 2008

Coersion

A different look at coercion:

Thinking about the controversial subject of men's free will, the word coercion came to me. When I learned English, I perceived that the general connotation is very negative.
Looking now in the Webster dictionary, I found that this not necessarily always true. Because Webster states as explanation number 1 ;" to restrain or dominate by nullifying individual will ". However the second and third explanation are mentioning the use of force and threat. No wonder that the English speaking people do not like to be coerced this way and the connotation is as something undesirable and bad.

If we take Webster's first definition of restraining and dominating, could we not use this concept in relation to the acts of God in our lives ? Do we not need to be restrained and dominated by our God ?

As for me, I certainly have the need in my life for God's restraint and domination in my life! And I believe that it is very biblical. Our sovereign God can and does use any method of His choice to bring us to repentance!
Where does this leave us as far as our so called free will? Some time ago I wrote an article and made the statement that may be men's free will is a misnomer. I pointed out that even in our decision making our Lord is involved. The surprising statement of Jesus in John 15:16, that He has chosen us and we did not choose Him, did make me look into the doctrine of our free choice.

I found out from Bible research that God indeed wants us to make choices. Joshua 24:15 is the clearest verse. It says " choose you this day whom you will serve "
Praise His Holy Name ! God also let David chose which of the 3 options to punishment he would prefer.

However John 15;16 and other Bible verses indicate that the Lord is directly involved when we have to make choices. Even to the point, so that we chose what He wants us to chose!
I really wonder how it is possible that we still remain responsible for our own choice. However this is absolutely also a biblical fact ! It seems that Our Lord is unfair, however I know that this is not true because our God is always just and fair. the Bible indicates this and we must accept and believe God's Word.

From Bible stories like the one in 2 Chron.22:23, where it states that the Lord did send a lying spirit, we can deduct that the Lord does coerce. Also other stories like the refusals of Pharaoh in Exodus 9 is telling us that God hardened Pharaoh's heart many times! and Pharaoh was still sinning! There is no doubt however that we remain responsible for our choices.

We must understand that our God is all knowing and may be He coerces people who are already bent on sinning and have an evil heart. Considering all this, we can understand that we only have a limited free will and that the Lord is involved in everything we chose.The Lord is conducting us continuously. We can trust Him that all things work for the good to them that love God and are called according to His purpose.

I am glad that our Lord restrains and dominates me. But I pray that I will grow more in the likeness of Jesus so that I will always obey Him out of my love for Him. How about you ? Johannes G Weiss

No comments: